Hitting your macros takes a lot of planning…and often, a lot of chicken breasts. My family wouldn’t survive without chicken breasts prepped and ready for:
zucchini noodles with sauce
simply eat on its own
This been one of the most important keys to our ability to get in the required protein every day without drinking tons of shakes. I don’t eat it every day and some days when I do, I don’t need much. But simply having lean protein on hand helps fill in the gaps really easily, so, every week, I batch prep a bunch of chicken breasts. We call it the Weekly Chicken.
Bake: If you prefer to use your oven for this prep, this recipe is the best I know for prepping lots of chicken breasts in the oven at once without it drying out. http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/baked-chicken-breast/
Crockpot: If the crockpot is your method of choice, try this: http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2014/05/easy-crockpot-shredded-chicken.html#_a5y_p=1658221 You can shred it with a mixer once it’s cooked like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utn4rqfogIE
Pressure Cooker: The electric pressure cooker is definitely my go-to choice for this project.
Here’s what I do:
- 5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 100g onions (1/2 large), diced
- 1/2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup of water
- Turn the pressure cooker on Sauté or Brown.
- Add butter, onions, garlic, and bouillon cubes.
- Stir frequently until bouillon cubes dissolve and onions are translucent.
- Turn pressure cooker off.
- Add trivet, 1 cup of water, and chicken breasts. Line them out as flat as possible.
- Close lid, set valve to seal, click the "Poultry" button. (High, 15 mins for those without the button)
- NPR for 10 mins.