Here in the MacroEd community, we love pizza. So when Pizza Chicken came across our radar, it was a no brainer that we wanted to be a part of it.
Pizza Chicken for Hitting Macros
We featured this in Week 1 of our Challenge meal plans. In the first week, we wanted to highlight all the great stuff you could eat and still hit your macros. It was our first chance to make a good impression with our food, so we led with great recipes like Pizza Chicken.
The response was fantastic! I think it may have been our most photographed recipe since Protein Cheesecake. Lol! So we’re so excited to get to share it with you!
What Toppings Can You Put on It?
To keep your macros in check, keep your toppings simple. My favorites are simply tomato paste, tomato sauce, melted cheese, turkey pepperoni, and spices. It tastes so rich and so flavorful, that you won’t need many more toppings than that.
Chicken Pizza Recipe
Here is a printable recipe card with the entire recipe on it, including how many macros it has. This recipe is high in protein and low carbs.
- 2.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, butterflied
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning, separated
- 2 tsp garlic powder, separated
- 2.5 oz or half a bag turkey pepperoni
- 150g or 1.5 cups part skim shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Add tomato sauce, paste, and half of seasonings to small sauce pan.
- Simmer on low heat until it reduces. Approx 10-15 min.
- Meanwhile, trim and butterfly chicken breasts. Then toss in gallon sized ziploc bag with other half of seasonings. Toss to coat.
- Add 1/2 of olive oil to a skillet. Add chicken and heat for 1-2 minutes per side. You don't want to cook it through, but you want to brown the outside.
- As pan gets dry and you use more chicken, add remaining olive oil
- Grease smallest casserole dish that will hold all the chicken. You want it packed tightly. I used my 9x13 glass Pyrex.
- Line chicken on bottom.
- Add dollop of reduced sauce to each piece.
- Top with turkey pepperoni and then with mozzarella like you're making tiny chicken pizzas, cause you are. 😉
- Bake for 25-30 mins or until cheese is browning and chicken is cooked through (juices run clear).
Gluten Free: Mind the labels in the pepperoni, sauce, and seasoning, but this should be a safe bet for you.
Vegetarian: Not today, friend.
If you make the recipe as-written, feel free to share our math on MFP: MacroEd Pizza Chicken (corrected). Our first version picked up a SUPER-favorable chicken listing within MFP. I'm not going to say it's incorrect but it wasn't consistent with the macros in other brands/listings of chicken breasts, so we adjusted for a more conservative listing.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 13gCarbohydrates: 11gProtein: 52g
Big thanks to Kalyn’s Kitchen for the inspiration and springboard!
All the best,
Looking for more recipes like these?
Have other questions? Drop us a line! hello at getmacroed dot com
Affiliate links keep the lights on around here. By purchasing through some links, you’ll help MacroEd at no additional cost to you. *High five* and thank you for helping us out!
Get Access to the Hub!
Join over 5,000 others and subscribe to our newsletter. When you do we'll send you access to our library of resources - for FREE!