Sweet mercy, you guys! We’ve talked a LOT about pizza substitutions. We’ve made cauliflower pizza crust, fat head pizza crust, and some have even made greek yogurt pizza crusts. Here in the MacroEd community, we love pizza. So when Pizza Chicken came across our radar, it was a no brainer that we wanted to be a part of it.
We featured this in Week 1 of our Challenge meal plans. In the first week, we wanted to highlight all the great stuff you could eat and still hit your macros. It was our first chance to make a good impression with our food, so we led with great recipes like Pizza Chicken. The response was fantastic! I think it may have been our most photographed recipe since Protein Cheesecake. Lol So we’re so excited to get to share it with you!
MacroEd Pizza Chicken getmacroed.com/pizza-chicken
- 2.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, butterflied
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning, separated
- 2 tsp garlic powder, separated
- 2.5 oz or half a bag turkey pepperoni
- 150g or 1.5 cups part skim shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Add tomato sauce, paste, and half of seasonings to small sauce pan.
- Simmer on low heat until it reduces. Approx 10-15 min.
- Meanwhile, trim and butterfly chicken breasts. Then toss in gallon sized ziploc bag with other half of seasonings. Toss to coat.
- Add 1/2 of olive oil to a skillet. Add chicken and heat for 1-2 minutes per side. You don't want to cook it through, but you want to brown the outside.
- As pan gets dry and you use more chicken, add remaining olive oil
- Grease smallest casserole dish that will hold all the chicken. You want it packed tightly. I used my 9x13 glass Pyrex.
- Line chicken on bottom.
- Add dollop of reduced sauce to each piece.
- Top with turkey pepperoni and then with mozzarella like you're making tiny chicken pizzas, cause you are. 😉
- Bake for 25-30 mins or until cheese is browning and chicken is cooked through (juices run clear).
If you make the recipe as-written, feel free to share our math on MFP: MacroEd Pizza Chicken (corrected). Our first version picked up a SUPER-favorable chicken listing within MFP. I'm not going to say it's incorrect but it wasn't consistent with the macros in other brands/listings of chicken breasts, so we adjusted for a more conservative listing.
Gluten Free: Mind the labels in the pepperoni, sauce, and seasoning, but this *should* be a safe bet for you.
Vegetarian: Not today, friend.
This recipe is featured in our Meal Plans Vol 1. We LOVE celebrating “Meal Plan Fridays” with our crew by filling their inboxes with shopping lists, macro-hacked, family-friendly recipes, and meal prep plans of attack. We’d love to meal prep for you too!
Grab a sample week here: https://macroed.teachable.com/courses/trial-meal-plans-1
Or purchase your 8 week plan here:
So, there you have it: Pizza Chicken! Put this on your list RIGHT NOW. You’re going to love it!
Big thanks to Kalyn’s Kitchen for the inspiration and springboard!
All the best,
Looking for more recipes like these? Check out our online recipe book!
New to macros in general? Take our free 7-day ecourse. We’ll teach you all about em!
Want to take your macros to the next level with our 12-week challenge? Get registered!
Looking for an amazingly supportive community of weird macro-counters like yourself? Come on over.
Have other questions? Drop us a line! hello at getmacroed dot com
Affiliate links keep the lights on around here. By purchasing through some links, you’ll help MacroEd at no additional cost to you. *High five* and thank you for helping us out!