Stuffed Peppers are amazing but kinda fussy to fill, prep, and eat. This Stuffed Pepper Soup recipe is everything you love about Stuffed Peppers without the fuss…or the carbs. 😉 You and your family will LOVE this low carb hack.
I’ve warned you guys: I love soups. All of the soups. So, here’s another one that I’m super-fond of right now: Stuffed Pepper Soup. It’s easy and comes together quickly. The cauliflower rice makes it extra filling too.
The recipe calls for an optional can of Mexican chile sauce from a brand called “Pato.” I’d encourage you to give it a try if you like things with a little heat. It’s one of my new secret weapons in my kitchen. 🙂 You could use a can of regular tomato sauce in place of it or omit it altogether if you’d like. The macros are calculated without the tomato sauce.
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 150g onion, small dice
- 400g bell pepper, large diced
- 1 head cauliflower, riced (I'll teach ya); or 2 bags of frozen riced cauliflower
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1.5 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I use no salt added)
- water to your desired consistency (I used 3 cups)
- salt & pepper to taste
- (optional: Pato Mexican chile sauce...It's got a little kick, but the flavor is fantastic...start with 1/2 a can and experiment. Remember, things get spicier the longer they sit, so it may be okay today but too hot tomorrow.)
- In a soup pot, brown ground beef with garlic, onion and peppers.
- Drain any grease.
- Add everything else except cauliflower, stir and simmer.
- Rice cauliflower by removing leaves and stem/core. Chop into large pieces and pulse in a blender or food processor until it resembles rice (but not so long that it resembles paste). Microwave it for 8 mins.
- Add riced cauliflower to the rest of the soup.
- My advice for ALL soups: simmer as long as you can. They all taste better with more time. But it's ready at this point if you don't have time to let it simmer.
- Divide into 8 servings immediately to keep your macros straight.
Gluten Free: Should be. Just watch your seasonings. Dairy Free: Absolutely. Vegetarian: You could absolutely substitute TVP (textured vegetable protein) for the ground beef or skip it altogether and make this work without meat.
Big thanks to Cooking Classy for the inspiration and base for this recipe: http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/09/stuffed-pepper-soup/