Where I come from, holidays often involve squash casserole. (and we’re kinda southern so every recipe is “Southern WhateverItIs” because things just taste better in the South) It’s one of my favorite dishes. The original recipe goes something like this:
1 stick of butter
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers
3 slices of squash
8 lbs of cheese
I may be exaggerating, but just a little bit. It’s amazing…but it’s costly in the macro world. So, I did my thing to it and it worked out better than I could have imagined. My cute husband also grew up eating squash casserole (his sister makes the BEST in the world) so I was SUPER scared to share it with him. Well, he ate 3 servings that night and we had polished off the entire casserole by the next day. Gonna call it a win.
If you’re up for it, throw a 3oz bag of crumbled bacon into the mix. I’m kind of a jerk for our vegetarian friends and never make anything they can eat, so I left the bacon out of the original, but you may want to add it. Just be sure to add the bacon to your macros when you log them.
- 1000g or 5 average-sized yellow squash or zucchini (or a combo of the two)
- 200g or 1 large onion (I used a red one b/c I like the color)
- 1 tbsp. grass-fed butter
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 8 oz greek yogurt cream cheese
- 1 C plain greek yogurt
- 3/4 C fried onions, divided
- 1/4 C + 2 tbsp. shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Thinly slice squash (or zucchini)--I use a mandoline slicer because I'm lazy and it makes things a million times faster. This is the one I have if you wanna check it out. (and I got the cut-free gloves b/c I'm also a total clutz)
- Add squash, onions, garlic and butter to a skillet.
- Cook until squash softens, but not so much that it's mushy.
- With heat on, stir in greek yogurt cream cheese, greek yogurt, 1 C sharp cheddar, 1/4 C parmesan, and 1/2 C fried onions. Stir to melt cream cheese and combine.
- Grease a casserole dish (I used a 9x13 glass one). Dump all the amazingness from the skillet to the casserole dish.
- Add remaining fried onions, parmesan, and cheddar to the top.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until top browns to you liking.
If you make it as-written, feel free to use my math in MFP: MacroEd Squash Casserole
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291 Total Fat: 18g Carbohydrates: 20g Protein: 13g
All the best,
Looking for more recipes like these? Check out our online recipe book!
New to macros in general? Take our free 7-day ecourse. We’ll teach you all about em!
Looking for an amazingly supportive community of weird macro-counters like yourself? Come on over.
Have other questions? Drop us a line! hello at www.getmacroed.com
Affiliate links keep the lights on around here. By purchasing through some links, you’ll help MacroEd at no additional cost to you. *High five* and thank you for helping us out!
Get Access to the Hub!
Join over 5,000 others and subscribe to our newsletter. When you do we'll send you access to our library of resources - for FREE!