Chili is hands-down one of my favorite comfort foods. I like literally all sorts of chilis. In my hometown, we even have a ChiliFest and I have a hard time finding any chilis among the dozens of tents that I’m not excited to try.
It’s filling, warm, and can easily be tweaked to make it macro-friendly. I’d eat it once a week if my husband would get on board. My daughters are already #teamchili all the way.
Being somewhat of a chili connoisseur, I’ve tried a BUNCH of recipes. This is the marriage of two of my faves: Chili by George from AllRecipes.com and Robb Wolf’s Ultimate Paleo Chili. It’s also featured in my Freezer Cooking post and freezes excellently for quick meals later.
This chili recipe is only 280 calories total per serving. It is made with classic chili ingredients – ground beef, chili beans, tomatoes, and green chilis. But it also has a surprising ingredient – brewed coffee! Yes, coffee! You have to try it.
- 2 lbs ground beef (either lean or drained)
- 1 1/2 C of brewed coffee
- 200g onions, diced
- 100g bell pepper
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 can chili beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can diced green chiles
- 1 can tomato paste
- Seasonings (these are suggestions…if you’re a comfortable cook, get wild with em…if you need a smart place to start, use these. I often follow this, cook a few minutes, then add this much of everything except the sugar and chili powder all over again)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1/4 C chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- In large pot, brown beef with onions, garlic and peppers.
- Drain grease.
- Add everything else. Mix well and let simmer. I usually add a couple of cups of water at this stage. It will still be really thick. Add more water to reach desired consistency.
- The longer it simmers, the better it is.
- Feel free to tweak to your specifications. It's fantastic topped with plain greek yogurt (or sour cream) and shredded cheese.
Vegetarian: Not this time!
Gluten Free: Yep.
Dairy Free: Yes!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280 Total Fat: 10g Carbohydrates: 21g Protein: 28g
Be sure to show me your creations by using our hashtag #getmacroed. It makes my day to see my recipes in your kitchen and you never know when I might feature one of yours!
All the best,
Affiliate links keep the lights on around here. By purchasing through some links, you’ll help MacroEd at no additional cost to you. *High five* and thank you for helping us out!
Get Access to the Hub!
Join over 5,000 others and subscribe to our newsletter. When you do we'll send you access to our library of resources - for FREE!