Chili is hands-down one of my favorite comfort foods. I like literally all sorts of chilis. In my hometown, we even have a ChiliFest and I have a hard time finding any chilis among the dozens of tents that I’m not excited to try.
It’s filling, warm, and can easily be tweaked to make it macro-friendly. I’d eat it once a week if my husband would get on board. My daughters are already #teamchili all the way.
Being somewhat of a chili connoisseur, I’ve tried a BUNCH of recipes. This is the marriage of two of my faves: Chili by George from AllRecipes.com and Robb Wolf’s Ultimate Paleo Chili. It’s also featured in my Freezer Cooking post and freezes excellently for quick meals later.
- 2 lbs ground beef (either lean or drained)
- 1 1/2 C of brewed coffee
- 200g onions, diced
- 100g bell pepper
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 can chili beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can diced green chiles
- 1 can tomato paste
- Seasonings (these are suggestions…if you’re a comfortable cook, get wild with em…if you need a smart place to start, use these. I often follow this, cook a few minutes, then add this much of everything except the sugar and chili powder all over again)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1/4 C chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- In large pot, brown beef with onions, garlic and peppers.
- Drain grease.
- Add everything else. Mix well and let simmer. I usually add a couple of cups of water at this stage. It will still be really thick. Add more water to reach desired consistency.
- The longer it simmers, the better it is.
- Feel free to tweak to your specifications. It's fantastic topped with plain greek yogurt (or sour cream) and shredded cheese.
Vegetarian: Not this time!
Gluten Free: Yep.
Dairy Free: Yes!
Be sure to show me your creations by using our hashtag #getmacroed. It makes my day to see my recipes in your kitchen and you never know when I might feature one of yours!
All the best,
Affiliate links keep the lights on around here. By purchasing through some links, you’ll help MacroEd at no additional cost to you. *High five* and thank you for helping us out!