Pumpkin Spice Lattes are the official drink of fall. Now you can have the sweet, spicy, creamy, pumpkiny coffee you know and love with macros that will keep you on track towards your goals.
Fall is totally my jam: the leaves, the weather, the soups, and the football. So it’s zero surprise to those who know me and my affection for all the fall things that I would be a fan of the official drink of fall: the PSL. While I don’t believe in Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving, I’m always the first one to break out the pumpkin spiced creamer as soon as it hits the shelves in August.
After a few weeks of logging it into MFP and being sad that I didn’t have many carbs left to eat for the rest of the day, I got creative and started tinkering with our protein coffee to see if I could make a protein PSL happen…and I did! It took some trial and error, but this stuff is absolutely perfect now.
Before we get into the recipe, here are the stats:
Starbucks tall PSL: 39c, 11f, 11p
MacroEd PSL: 7c, 3f, 24p
Go read those numbers again! It went from nearly a whole day’s worth of carbs in the later weeks to a healthy bump of protein and pretty much negligible carbs, comparatively speaking. That’s CRAZY! I’m super proud of this and think you’re going to love it. I’m actually sipping one as a write this post to you. Can’t wait for you to be having one with me! So, on with the recipe!
- 1 mug of coffee
- 1 scoop of 1st Phorm vanilla ice cream protein powder or cinnamon cookie batter (I used Level 1)*
- 1/2 tsp REAL maple syrup (read your labels!)
- 1/4 tsp OR a couple of dashes of pumpkin pie spice (mine is store-bought, but you can make your own here: http://www.bettycrocker.com/how-to/tipslibrary/baking-tips/how-to-make-pumpkin-pie-spice)
- *you may substitute your favorite vanilla protein powder, just adjust macros accordingly
- Put protein powder, pumpkin pie spice, and maple syrup in a blender bottle.
- Add 1/2 mug of coffee. If you add the entire mug at once, there won't be enough room for the pressure to build up and be released safely and you'll blow coffee all over your kitchen. So, please, just use 1/2 of the mug.
- Shake once, release pressure. Shake again, release pressure. Repeat until the lid doesn't pop when you open it. Then shake like crazy to blend.
- Pour into mug and add the rest of the coffee. Stir and enjoy.
Gluten Free: 1st Phorm Vanilla is gluten free. You're in the clear.
Vegetarian: Got ya covered
Dairy Free: Not this one
This is important: don’t drink the very last frothy sip. It’s mostly spice and isn’t pleasant. If you make this in a bullet blender, your experience may be different, but in a blender bottle, skip the last sip.
If you want to lazy-log it in MFP, just search MacroEd PSL and the stats will be waiting for you.
If you need protein, grab it here to help Jeremy and get free shipping: 1stphorm.com/msnutritionist
Welcome to Pumpkin Spice Season, friends! Enjoy your guilt-free PSL.
If you’re into this, check out our other protein coffee options:
Be sure to show me your creations by using our hashtag #getmacroed. It makes my day to see my recipes in your kitchen and you never know when I might feature one of yours!
All the best,
Affiliate links keep the lights on around here. By purchasing through some links, you’ll help MacroEd at no additional cost to you. *High five* and thank you for helping us out!
Get Access to the Hub!
Join over 5,000 others and subscribe to our newsletter. When you do we'll send you access to our library of resources - for FREE!