Everything you love about take out, but healthied up (that’s a word now, right?). If you like Pork Chow Mein, give our low carb, macro-friendly version a try.
- 2.75 lbs pork sirloin grillers or chops
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 100g onion, diced
- 168g (about 3 stalks) celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 80g shredded red cabbage (I used the pre-cut stuff from the salad section)
- 250g cole slaw mix
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 C low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp. ginger (I use the squeezy kind from the salad aisle)
- water (optional, I ended up using 2 c)
- pepper to taste
For the Squash
- Remove sticker, add 1 C water to the IP, and throw that puppy in there for 17 mins on high pressure for an average-sized squash. (valve set to "seal")
- When it's finished, QR and CAREFULLY remove squash. Slice in half short ways (for longer noodles) and remove guts and seeds. Then shred w/ a fork to create noodles.
- Carefully pierce (stab...just don't die) your spaghetti squash about a dozen times.
- Microwave for 12 minutes then let sit for 10 mins for average squash.
- Carefully remove squash from microwave and slice in half short ways (for longer noodles). Remove guts and seeds then shred w/ a fork to create noodles.
For the Pork
- Cook it any way you want: IP, grill, bake, slow cook, etc. I don't care, just get it done and shredded. Here's how I did it:
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter on Sauté mode.
- Add 2 tbsp of Dale's Seasoning (low sodium if you can find it), 1/2 C water, and pork.
- Close lid and set valve to "seal." Cook on manual high for 35 minutes. It should shred easily when it's done.
For the Chow Mein
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil, garlic, onions, and celery.
- Cook until onions are translucent and celery begins to soften.
- Add red cabbage, cole slaw mix, brown sugar, soy sauce/coconut aminos, ginger and pepper. Combine and sauté until veggies are soft. Then add spaghetti squash noodles and shredded pork. At this point, mine needed some water to combine well, so I added 2 cups. If yours mixes well, feel free to omit that step. Mix well then serve.
If you make it as-is, feel free to borrow my math in MFP: MacroEd Pork Chow Mein
If you skip the pork and just do the squash and veggies (add whatever protein you'd like separately), the macros are: 62 cal, 1f, 11c, 2p.
Big ups to the Little Bits Of blog for the inspo. Check out the original here.
Vegetarian: ABSOLUTELY. Skip the protein and you’re golden.
Gluten Free: Yep. Watch the sauces and be sure they’re GF, but you should be good.
This Pork Chow Mein recipe is featured in our Meal Plans Volume 1. It’s available for purchase here. Or we have a free week available. Take a week off from planning and let me do the work for you! Get your free week here.
All the best,
Looking for more recipes like these? Check out our online recipe book!
New to macros in general? Take our free 7-day ecourse. We’ll teach you all about em!
Looking for an amazingly supportive community of weird macro-counters like yourself? Come on over.
Have other questions? Drop us a line! hello at getmacroed dot com
Affiliate links keep the lights on around here. By purchasing through some links, you’ll help MacroEd at no additional cost to you. *High five* and thank you for helping us out!
Get Access to the Hub!
Join over 5,000 others and subscribe to our newsletter. When you do we'll send you access to our library of resources - for FREE!