I’ve had debates with my best friend over the merits of pancakes vs. waffles for YEARS. After trying this pizza waffle, I officially concede. This was my first foray into the world of savory waffles and I. AM. HOOKED. Though I’ll always be #teampancake in my heart, you can definitely DO MORE with a waffle maker.
The sweet Jessica Cooke send me the original recipe from My Life Cookbook, and try as I might, I can’t really improve on it much.
I tried adding more cauli: Fail
Swapping egg for egg white: Fail
Cutting down the amount of cheese: Fail
It’s nearly perfect the way it’s written. I can contribute: macros, simplified seasonings, saving you from ricing your own cauli, and some easy dipping sauce if you don’t want to go with store-bought. But that’s about all the macro-hacking I can do.
For that reason, you’re going to want to pair this with more protein and potentially some veggies.
It took a while to get it right, but eventually, I was able to make some magic happen and the results were gorgeous! I think you’re going to love this one!
As for which waffle iron I use (which is a question I get more often than I’d ever anticipated), I have an Oster. It’s on the inexpensive side and has served us well for years. If you’re in the market, check it out:
Once you have your fancy-pants waffle iron, check out these recipes:
- 1 egg
- 1/4 C riced cauliflower (I use frozen)
- 8 slices of turkey pepperoni, torn or cut into small bits
- 1/2 tsp of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 C mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 C cheddar, shredded
- 2 tbsp parmesan, grated
For Sauce (store-bought pizza sauce is fine, but if you want to make your own, use ours)
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray. I love coconut oil spray by Cookwell.
- Mix together all ingredients. Don't stop until the egg has coated everything.
- When waffle iron is hot, pour mixture into iron.
- Cook according to your waffle iron directions. Mine wasn't finished when the cycle ended and the light turned on, so I pushed down on the top of the iron and let it run for another 30 seconds or so. Then it was perfect. Your results may vary.
- Remove from waffle iron carefully and serve with sauce, if you'd like.
For the Sauce
- Combine everything.
- Heat if desired.
Sauce Macros for 12 servings (consider using some of this in OMG Pizza getmacroed.com/omg-pizza)
0f, 1p, 4c
Vegetarian: Omit pepperoni and YES!
Gluten Free: Absolutely
Dairy Free: Not this one.
As always, if you use our recipe as-written, feel free to use our macro math in MFP: MacroEd Pizza Waffle
MFP: MacroEd Pizza Sauce
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 Waffle
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 426Total Fat: 31gCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 36g
Be sure to show me your creations by using our hashtag #getmacroed. It makes my day to see my recipes in your kitchen!
All the best,
Affiliate links keep the lights on around here. By purchasing through some links, you’ll help MacroEd at no additional cost to you. *High five* and thank you for helping us out!
Get Access to the Hub!
Join over 5,000 others and subscribe to our newsletter. When you do we'll send you access to our library of resources - for FREE!