This recipe tastes so good, you won’t even notice that it’s low carb and high protein. You’re just going to be excited about the wings+skins perfection you’re enjoying.
Once upon a time, I spent a summer studying in Madrid, Spain. One of the traditional ways to spend time and meet people in Spain has always been to meet for tapas. Tapas are appetizer-types of dishes served family style, most often at restaurants with high top tables and no chairs. The idea is that you order a few rounds of tapas, visit, mingle, enjoy an adult beverage, and order more rounds as the night goes on.
Being someone who wants one bite of everything on the menu AND loves a good party, this was totally dreamy for me. I LOVED tapas nights then and still do now. When I got home from my summer abroad, I tried my hand at making my favorite tapa dish: Papas Bravas.
Traditionally it includes fried potatoes with onions tossed in buffalo sauce. For our purposes, I added some fun, American-y stuff AND some protein, cause #macros. The result is somewhere between loaded potato skins and boneless buffalo wings. I’m not-so-mildly obsessed with it.
Out & About
If you’re new to the tapas concept, I encourage you to give it a try. It’s a great excuse to try lots of delicious, snacky foods and call it a meal. Locally, you can get a taste of the tapas life at one of my very favorite restaurant called The Cellar Door. It’s my favorite place to spend an evening catching up with friends and eating great food. (If you go [call me and I’ll meet you there], check out the meat and cheese trays, wings, and salads for macro-friendly options, but that’s a story for another day.)
All the best,
Affiliate links keep the lights on around here. By purchasing through some links, you’ll help MacroEd at no additional cost to you. *High five* and thank you for helping us out!
- 1 lb potatoes, sliced thinly (I used gold ones b/c it’s what Aldi had and they were delicious)
- 150g onion, thinly sliced
- 2.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tbsp butter (you know we love the grass-fed stuff)
- 1 oz crumbled bacon (I used half a bag from the salad section; fresh is great too if you wanna go that route)
- ½ C wing sauce (I used Frank’s Wing Sauce…not the Red Hot)
- Optional toppings: plain greek yogurt and chives
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and begin to fry potatoes and onions. Give them about 5ish mins to start to become tender and browned.
- Then throw in chicken.
- Sauté until chicken is cooked through (juices run clear, no longer pink inside) and potatoes are tender.
- Stir in bacon and wing sauce before serving.
Vegetarian: You can TOTALLY enjoy this. Skip the chicken and bacon and you'll be in the clear. I feel like you could do some buffalo-flavored tofu and it would work really well in this. Play around with it.
Gluten Free: According to Frank's website, the buffalo sauce is GF, so you should be good.
Dairy Free: Skip the greek yogurt or use a dairy free substitution, and you're golden.
If you make it as-is, feel free to use my math in MFP: MacroEd Papas Bravas
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/5 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 461 Total Fat: 13g Carbohydrates: 19g Protein: 56g
Get Access to the Hub!
Join over 5,000 others and subscribe to our newsletter. When you do we'll send you access to our library of resources - for FREE!