A few months ago a recipe was going around Instagram with the hashtag #1carbwaffle. You KNOW I wasn’t going to let that one pass by without trying it out to share with you guys. So, at midnight on a school night when I should have been asleep, I crept into the kitchen and fired up my waffle iron. Our version doesn’t get down quite as low as 1g of carbs, but it’s pretty close.
Fluffy Protein Waffles and Pancakes
What’s in a high-protein, low-carb waffle? To make these you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1st Phrm Protein Powder – Level1 Chocolate
- Baking Powder
That’s it! Four very simple ingredients.
Low Carb Waffle Toppings
One of the most dangerous things with waffles and pancakes is the desire to drown them in sugary syrup. Instead, top with some fruit or even a bit of sugar-free whipped cream.
Low Carb Waffles and Pancakes Recipe
Here’s my recipe. You can make these into either waffles or pancakes, they both work great.
1 scoop 1st Phorm protein powder (I used Level1 chocolate, but it’s great with just about anything)
1 tsp baking powder
Enough water to reach a batter consistency (for waffles, you want this thicker; for pancakes, you want it thinner)
Mix the protein powder and baking powder together first. Then add the egg and water. Whisk well and pour into greased waffle iron or a hot, greased skillet. (I spray mine w/ coconut oil).
Macros for the whole batch (which should 1 one waffle or several pancakes) are: 210 cal, 5c, 7f, 30p plus whatever you add for topping.
I usually make chocolate ones and add whipped cream. Maple syrup and butter are great if you can fit it into your macros. I’ve even seen this used as the base for pizzas, eggs, or sandwich bread. Get creative!
- 1 scoop 1st Phorm protein powder (I used Level1 chocolate, but it’s great with just about anything)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- Enough water to reach a batter consistency (for waffles, you want this thicker; for pancakes, you want it thinner)
- Mix the protein powder and baking powder together first.
- Then add the egg and water.
- Whisk well and pour into greased waffle iron or a hot, greased skillet. (I spray mine w/ coconut oil).
- Add your favorite toppings such as whipped cream, butter, jelly, peanut butter, or syrup
- This can be used as a base for pizza, eggs, or sandwich bread.
- Gluten free: 1st Phorm Level 1 in Vanilla and Chocolate are both gluten free.
- Vegetarian: In the clear!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Total Fat: 7gCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 30g
Gluten-Free Pancakes and Waffles
1st Phorm Level 1 Vanilla and Chocolate are both gluten free. There’s often cornstarch in traditional baking powders, but you can find gluten free baking powder alternatives like this one.
Vegetarian: In the clear!
Show us what you make by using the hashtag #getmacroed and use this link to grab your protein if you need any: 1stphorm.com/a/msnutritionist
All the best,
Looking for more recipes like these? Check out our online recipe book!
New to macros in general? Take our free 7-day ecourse. We’ll teach you all about em!
Looking for an amazingly supportive community of weird macro-counters like yourself? Come on over.
Have other questions? Drop us a line! hello at getmacroed dot com
Affiliate links keep the lights on around here. By purchasing through some links, you’ll help MacroEd at no additional cost to you. *High five* and thank you for helping us out!